For the down and out.
There is a Wayne Blackshear in the wings. He’ll be in a University of Louisville uniform soon, mending, practicing, he’s on his way. A natural, a player who can create his own shots, a three-point shooter, a mid-range shooter, a rim-rattling dunker, the complete package. Averaged 14 rebounds per game as a senior in high school.
He’ll take pressure off of Kyle Kuric, allowing Kyle to do what he does best from the corner, ease the load on Russ and Chris Smith, permitting them to become role players (if that’s possible with Russ). Peyton Siva will have a go-to guy for a change, making his decision making easier. He will motivate Kevin Ware as well, speeding his acclimation process.
And he was recruited by Rick Pitino.
- Averaged 32.6 points, 14.6 rebounds, 5.6 assists and 3.7 steals as a senior to lead Morgan Park to a 20-7 record and the 3-A sectional finals, beating defending 3A state champions Hillcrest in the semifinals.
- 2011 McDonald’s and Parade Magazine All-America selection.
- Named the 2011 Chicago Sun-Times Player of the Year and was a two-time all-area selection.
- Ranked No. 16 nationally by Scout.com, No. 26 in the ESPN 100, 36th by Rivals.com, No. 29 by USA Today recruiting analyst Rob Harrington, and third among shooting guards nationally by Scout.com.
- Top scoring effort as a senior was 56 points against Chicago Ellison, adding 21 rebounds, nine blocked shots and seven steals.
And did we mention that Pitino recruited him?