A few thoughts on University of Louisville basketball after Sunday’s intrasquad scrimmage at the KFC Yum! Center …
- Luke Hancock will be a rock, a steadying influence, bringing a wider variety of shots and higher accuracy than Kyle Kuric. Businesslike approach to the game, scoring a very quiet 29 points while hitting four of four from behind the three-point line.
- Peyton Siva went down with an ankle mishap early in the first half, missing the rest of the scrimmage. Not to worry, Rick Pitino sets a record telling fans it’s nothing serious.
- Kevin Ware is playing like he belongs, with a confidence level we haven’t seen before on defense and offense. Gone is the dazed and lost expression from last season.
- Gorgui Dieng and Mangok Mathiang, at 6’11 and 6’10, respectively, an intimidating combination when they’re both on the floor.
- Montrezl Harrell has the bounce of a Rakeem Buckles once had and he’s probably stronger, more reliable and consistent.
- Wayne Blackshear may never be the dominating force he was expected to be, but he’s the one one wants at the free throw line when a game is on the line.
- Russ Smith is as quick and unpredictable as ever.
A Kevin Ware glimpse: