Perhaps the video below might provide some clarity into the encounter between Louisville baseball coach Dan McDonnell and Big East umpire Mike Shields during the U of L-St. John’s game on Saturday. A few things one might want to note in the video:
- How far off the plate the pitch is to Louisville’s Drew Haynes.
- Haynes disgustedly flinging the bat, getting ejected.
- How McDonnell returns to the dugout after initially protesting the call.
- How the umpires seem to be acting more like overzealous security guards at times.
- How something an umpire says spurs McDonnell into returning to the field.
- How little contact, incidental at most, is initiated by McDonnell with any umpire.
You be the judge but nothing will change the fact that the U of L coach has been banned for the next three games. And, as a wise man said very recently, “No use getting the bad side of umpires. You can’t win that fight.”