By Steve Springer
Summer is here, normally a dead period for the typical college sports fan.Â A time to relax and refresh, quietly anticipate the coming football season.
Not this year, however. The next few days, heck, even the next few hours, could be some of the mostÂ landscape-altering times in college sports history. Major changes could turn the college football world upside down.
What’s the Big Ten going to do? What does the PAC Ten have up its sleeve? Is Nebraska staying or going? What will happen to the Big East? Where will Louisville end up? Lots of questions. Few answers.
The average football fan feelx helpless, with no control over what happens. But not here at Card Game. There is hope. At least hypothetically, you are in charge of it all. You are in the driverâ€™s seat. You get to design your ideal conference for the Cards. Charlie Strongâ€™s future is in your hands. Tom Jurich is your play toy. You get to decide whose ankles Vic Anderson gets to break this season.
Your job is to pick and choose a conference that best suits U of L. There are a handful of rules, however:
- No politics in your way.
- Let’s keep it somewhat realistic, geographically speaking. No teams west of the Mississippi.
- This conference is for hoops and pigskin for balanced scheduling.
- As many teams as you like, from an eight-team league to a 16-team mega-conference.
- No Wildcats allowed, not deserving of a spot at our table.
Big Dream Conference
- West Virginia (good rivalry brewing here)
- Cincinnati (good rivalry, good hoops, growing football)
- Ohio State (good hoops/football)
- Pittsburgh (good hoops/football)
- Penn State (good football, basketball cupcake)
- Syracuse (good hoops/football might rise again)
- Virginia Tech (good football/basketball gimme)
- Florida (good hoops/football)
- Florida State (decent hoops/good football)
- Miami (good football/decent hoops)
- Tennessee (good hoops/football)
- North Carolina (good hoops/decent football)
- Memphis (good rivalry, decent hoops/football)
- Southern Miss (old rivalry, decent football/hoops gimme)
- Murray State (alma mater, team no one wants to meet in NCAA tourney)
But best of all, U of L, my favorite team, would be playing in my back yard. Now it’s your turn!