Bobby Lutz has a special place in his heart for Freedom Hall, and will be sorry to see the facility relegated to a virtual registry of historic places. In fact, he will be among the high bidders if they auction memorabilia from the fabled venue.
His Charlotte teams have dominated the University of Louisville basketball team here. He owns a 9-6 lifetime record against U of L and the likes of Denny Crum and Rick Pitino, with more than half of those wins on Denny Crum Court. He also won a C-USA Tournament championship at Freedom Hall.
Sandwiched between UNLV and a bunch of no names this season, Charlotte reminded U of L of how often the local folks failed to respect Lutz teams during the C-USA days, running circles around the injury-plagued Cards while administering a 22-point beating.
- Pitino’s team playing like Pitino looks with the droopy eyes. Rick replacing the Breathsaver mints with Hall’s Mentho-Lyptus, unwrapping a fresh cough drop every time the camera turns his way.
- Samardo Samuels, bounding about like the Dean’s Milk Chugger. Unable to motor about without falling over himself or whoever fronts him, making the easy shots look impossibly difficult. His backup, Terrence Jennings, equally unable to navigate.
- Jared Swopshire just can’t get over his resemblance to Barack Obama, unable to make a quick decision, move to his right, make an uncontested shot or complete an unaltered pass.
- Mike Marra living up to Louisville’s reputation in recent years as a poor three-point shooting team, he with the jinx of being tabbed the best high school shooter Pitino has ever seen.
- Edgar Sosa still managing to look improved but he will never take control of a game like he did three years ago against Texas A&M, proving it against sub par competition.