Success for University of Louisville basketball against Western Kentucky is always more likely when a few nuances are observed:
- Consider Western a dangerous foe. That’s the first thing, always has been, probably always will be, even though WKU dwells in obscurity most of the time. The Hilltoppers will turn up later in the NCAA tournament.
- Play WKU in Louisville, not at Bowling Green or a neutral court. Means too much to Western, especially when they’re using passed-over recruits like A. J. Slaughter who grew up wanting to play for Louisville. There’s always one or two of them.
- Play like your reputation is on the line. Program superiority rarely equals automatic wins, especially over an envious opponent.
- Remember Wood Selig is WKU’s athletic director, he who would not be kind to Louisville basketball if he were on the NCAA tournament selection committee. Remember his role in sending the women’s team to LSU last season.
- Games against Western help prepare U of L for more serious threats in the state.