Any win is good, but a 37-point laugher is bound to restore a bit of confidence.
One can’t be certain if what occurred in the University of Louisville basketball team’s 94-57 romp over Oral Roberts is for real until after the Western Kentucky meeting this Saturday. Definite signs of progress, however:
- Holding the opposition to only three-point field goals, compared to 20 three-pointers in two consecutive losses. Suffocating full-court pressure, forcing 21 turnovers, scoring 37 points off of them.
- Samardo Samuels, his parents in town, actually going after rebounds, collecting seven of them, making 11 of 12 free throws, 17 points.
- Terrence Jennings taking practices seriously lately, knowing how to get open, 10 points, six rebounds.
- Edgar Sosa looking more confident in attacking the basket, making five assists, hitting four of eight three-point shots.
- Preston Knowles showing no signs of wrist pain, making seven assists, four steals.
- The best two-man dunking exhibition, thanks to Jerry Smith and Rakeem Buckles.
- Smith maybe getting his shooting touch back, fire in the belly on defense.
- Kyle Kuric making the most spectacular dunk since T-Will left Freedom Hall.
- Rick Pitino letting the crowd in on his pre-game remarks about playing defense. You can bet it was the same speech the players have heard 50 times since Saturday.