Lots of people doing weird things in connection with the Rick Pitino-Karen Sypher affair. An unpredictable mix of local luminaries and loonies caught up in the soap opera, sometimes making it difficult to identify the good guys from the bad one day to the next.
The recent release of the police interview with Pitino confirms what many wanted to deny, that it was indeed a sex scandal, and it will continue to tarnish and embarrass anyone even remotely involved.
The effect of the mistakes will continue to compound for the cast of characters for different reasons:
- Rick Pitino:Â Ever getting within 10 feet of Karen Sypher.
- Karen Sypher: Still making new demands and accusations six years later.
- Tim Sypher:Â Marrying the woman after she had an affair with his boss
- Lester Goetzinger: The Sypher friend making alleged threatening calls to the Louisville coach.
- Dana Kolter:Â The ju jitsu instructor/divorce attorney allegedly presenting Sypher’s financial terms to Pitino.
- Thomas Clay:Â Respected local attorney briefly representing Sypher, getting out while the getting was good.
- Steve Pence: The attorney representing Pitino in a sordid case that will not be a good thing if he intends to be taken seriously as a candidate to replace Louisville Mayor Jerry Abramson.
- University of Louisville fans: Wanting to believe in Pitino.
The observer doesn’t believe this is the scenario the Keep Louisville Weird promoters had in mind when they launched the marketing program.