UNLV players and fans more than a little excited about the opportunity to play the University of Louisville basketball team. My, what a home court advantage, an obscure national TV network, painted faces, wild hair, and super adrenaline can do for a team.
Congratulations on escaping by the skin of your teeth over an early December Rick Pitino-coached team, leaning heavily on a freshman and sophomore-laden youth group and a couple of seniors. Still, the visitors manage to put together a 30-11 run in the second half to overcome an 18-point deficit.
And how about students rushing the court after the game? Been a while since you’ve been there, hasn’t it? Hey, it’s the early season.
- Edgar Sosa is making the move into the paint much more quickly these days, creating more opportunities for himself and his teammates. His three-point shooting looking good again.
- Samado Samuels still getting bounced around, unable to finish.
- Jared Swopshire among the missing, not playing with any visible sense of urgency. Shades of Earl Clark. Forget it.
- The sooner Mike Mara finds the basket, the better.
- Rakeem Buckles, a nice surprise, with his 10 points and 11 rebounds, is going to be a force.
- Jerry Smith, a senior captain, still making a combination of freshman and bonehead moves. Mr. Wisconsin Basketball 2005, you know better.