University of Louisville alumni will have plenty reasons to celebrate across the nation Saturday in addition to the traditional Kentucky Derby parties, and many will be wearing championship apparel. Alumni parties are planned far and wide.
- Los Angeles: Dave and Tammy Radan, members of UofL’s Southern California Alumni Club, are hosting a Derby Watch party they promise “will knock your hooves off – from Mint Juleps to an original Kentucky home cooked spread, including everything from burgoo and fried chicken …” No country ham? Guests are encouraged to bring extra cash for betting and a silent auction.
- Frankfort: The Capital Region Alumni Club at Buffalo Wild Wings, with raffles throughout the day, as well as prizes for the best dressed and for the most creative Derby hat.
- Miami: Damon Stinson, president of the South Florida Cards, has organized an event at the Calder Casino & Race Course at Miami Gardens.
- Phoenix: Roger Hayes of the Arizona Alumni Club will be hosting fellow fans at Gallagher’s Sports Club.
- Elsewhere, alumni parties are being hosted by Jill Duvall in St. Louis; George Ellard in Mississippi, Kelly Hanton in Philadelphia, and Paul Hanks in Houston. UofL Alumni Association Guide here.
A national championship and runner-up in basketball, a BCS Sugar Bowl football trophy, the invitation to the Atlantic Coast Conference, combined with the Derby. Could be a wild day for many UofL fans.