Catching up around the University of Louisville campus.
- The beginning of construction for the expansion of Jim Patterson Stadium should begin later this week. “They’ve set up a few fences for safety reasons, the heavy equipment will come next,” said Brandon Graves, of the U of L Athletic Department’s development staff. Construction dates are rarely predictable.
- Wisconsin has long been rumored to added to the Louisville football schedule. This is the season it finally happens. But it will be of the soccer species and it’s only an exhibition match, scheduled Aug. 17th at Fort Wayne, Indiana. UofL will officially open the season Aug. 26th at Maryland.
- Don’t tell anyone but the Louisville soccer team apparently lost a match to the University of Kentucky during the spring season. There’s a mention of the loss but no score in a wrap up of a win over NAIA champ Lindsey Wilson. Fortunately nobody noticed in the aftermath of NCAA basketball’s Final Four action.
- Construction on the new soccer stadium? Still in the fund raising phase.
- Of Sports Illustrated’s projected top 10 teams in women’s basketball for the 2012-13 season, three are from the Big East Conference — Connecticut listed as No. 2, Louisville at No. 4 and Notre Dame at No. 9.
- Joao De Lucca, a junior UofL swimmer from Rio De Janeiro, has made the Brazilian Olympic team. He will compete in the 4×10-meter free style event. The games are in London, July 28-Aug. 12.