Summer is going to move along pretty quickly now that the University of Louisville is officially in the ACC. Next thing you know the football Cardinals will be lining up against Miami University in the season opener. The next couple of months are going to be busy ones for everyone associated with the program, including the fans.
- Apparently there will be no Cardinal Caravan this summer or we would have already have the dates and locations. The ACC celebration at Fourth Street Live more than made up for absence of the popular gatherings. No attendance numbers have been announced but there were probably between 7,000 and 9,000 people at the event.
- Tom Jurich is reported to have three different sets of plans for the expansion of Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium on his desk. When asked about them Tuesday, all he would say is “We’re working on it.” His expression, however, indicated that he is gung ho about the expansion and is doing his thing, putting the parts in place. Twelve thousand additional seats in the north end zone would put stadium capacity at 67,000. Just sayin’.
- TJ probably wants to first announce the start date for the new academic center at the south end of the stadium. Probably wasn’t a coincidence that he gave ACC Commissioner John Swofford a special Maker’s Mark bottle during the ACC celebration. Maker’s Mark has already had two special bottles for Charlie Strong and Rick Pitino. I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t hear about one featuring the new ACC logo soon, possibly coinciding with target date announcement for construction.
- The athletic department badly needs to do something to improve the radio broadcast situation for UofL baseball with the entry into the ACC. WNDA-1570 does a great job with Sean Moth, but unfortunately just doesn’t have a strong enough signal. WKRD-790 tied up with the Louisville Bats, WKLO-1080 is tied to UK, ESPN-680 has signal problems, too, and WHAS, the logical choice, is out for other reasons. Time to start looking at FM options. Everybody has FM these days. We need a quality signal.
- The UofL rowing team just hired Robbie Tenenbaum, the head rowing coach at Clemson, as an assistant. During five seasons there, Tenenbaum had four All-Americans, five first team All-South Region rowers and eleven rowers named All-ACC.
* * *
UofL Card Game is the first Louisville blog to be featured on Fan Cred, a fascinating new social media site strictly for sports. It’s similar to Twitter without all the clutter. Download the app for your I-phone at FanCred.com or just use the web site. We think it has strong possibilities. Follow us here: bit.ly/CardGameOnFancred.