The shirt worn by Jan Catlin to the championship game of the Louisville Regional says it all for fans who endured too many extra innings, rain delays, pitchers’ duels, hitting slumps and other disruptions during the post season.
Vanderbilt Squeezes Way Into Super Regional
Just a slow dribbler out in front of the plate, Neil Holland staring hopelessly at the ball, a moment frozen in time, no effort to pick it up, the ball rolling past him, Vanderbilt runner crossing the plate.
Another bunt in a long line of successful attempts, Louisville loses 3-2. Vanderbilt advances to the Super Regional.
- The magic began to fade during the Big East Tournament for this Louisville team, with so many disputed calls, the impotent bats, the inconsistent relief pitching. The capper was Dan McDonnell being ejected during the St. John’s game, getting suspended for three games as the NCAA Tournament begins.
- Thomas Royse getting out of bases-loaded jam in the fourth inning, striking out the final two batters, but running out of juice again almost on schedule in the sixth inning.
- A tenth inning rally cut short when Josh Richmond is called out for interfering with the catcher as Stewart Ijames attempts to steal second with no outs. Lights out.
- The season ends for the University of Louisville baseball team with the players consoling each other under the lights in the left field. Very quiet, except for the tears.
- Eat. Sleep. Baseball. Fun, but a grind as well.
The only good thing about the loss is we get our other lives back.
Among the disappointed University of Louisville fans was Danielle Clark-McDonald, the sister of first baseman Andrew Clark, who attended many of the U of L games during the season, motoring all the way from New Palestine, north of Indianapolis.